Saturday, September 29, 2012

Tour Hanoi city

I wondered around the city for ATM, and headed towards open green areas to check out the city. It is relative cool and pleasant today. Whenever I needed a break, I just walked into a 5-star hotel to enjoy the AC and free wifi. Most restaurants and hotels offer free wifi.

It was Sunday morning and many couples had their wedding photos taken around the town. Like in China, some people sang karaoke and danced in the parks as well. Like in china, most intersections in old town have no traffic light such that you had marsh forwards and pray that the car and motorbike drivers would avoid you. I am getting used to venturing across streets this way.

Many backpackers use Lonely Planet to travel. One friend mentioned that there are counterfeits in Vietnam at prices 20% of the legitimate copies. I even saw some at 10% and wonder about the print quality. Electronic versions are more realistic for hikers, but I am concerned about power shortage issues in India such that I may not be able to read files on my I-pod touch.

Part ii on Monday

I made my way to the most expensive residential area, west lake. Hanoi's real property values stay high after foreign investment withdrew. An old house in a poor neighborhood can cost as much as a brand new unit in Nanning, China. I also visited two temples In the west lake area.

I stopped by dong xing market before the west lake. This market looks just like the traditional market you can find in south America. The major difference is that the vendors in south America are not as eager to sell stuffs to me.

The landmarks of Hu chi ming shrine and museums are right south of the presidential house. They reminded me the mall in Washington DC yet at a much smaller scale and less colorful.

No comments:

Post a Comment