Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Doing business in China

I had a different level of appreciation of Relationship via this trip. Due to my friend's connection in the city hospital, I got appointments without waiting in lines for hours, and I even got a free ultrasound for my belly.

On the other hand, I waited in lines for 1.5 hrs to get a document from a local government office, finally caved in to pay 200 rmb bribery to cut shout the wait and got it done in 5 minutes instead of another 5 hours. I can share with you countless examples of paying your way via all kinds of bureaucrats.

The more friends you have, the easier to get things done here. Of course, money buys you friendship, if you do not have relatives and classmates. This is applicable even for eating a bowl of rice noddles at a popular "restaurant". It was crowded, hot, and sold out quickly, but my friend got me the food in 5 minted because the boss was her neighbor.

To return her favors, I have to come up with something she needs, such as cosmetics, food supplement, etc. from the US, potential import business opportunities, future husband candidates, etc. The forms and shapes of favor exchanges are limited only to my imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment