Friday, September 28, 2012

Hanoi, Vietman 越南

I woke up early to prepare for border crossing. When I jumped on the public bus I ran into my new friend taking train ride together into Pingxing. I took the last room available in my hotel so he went to another hotel. He was born in Nanning and came to the border to pick up some items to sell in nanning.

He got me another motor bike driver to take me to the border after the bus and we finally said goodbye and good luck.

The border area is also a resort so I took some photos and exchange some Vietnamese money.

On the Vietnamese side, I was lucky enough to share shuttle ride with a Vietnamese family and a college student who studies in China. We made food stops and bathroom room breaks during the 4 hr ride anytime as we wished. They were kindly enough to treat me breakfast, lunch, and coffee. The lunch was free range chicken cooked in four ways. I am getting better in spotting and engaging with people of my kind: friendly, open- minded, and curious.

My college friend loaned me his iphone to make calls. He even found me his taxi driver friend to drive me to the open ticket bus company to buy all tickets I need in Vietnam then my hostel in old town Hanoi. I feel so much at home to stay in a hostel and mingle with other backpackers coming from all parts of world.

I checked in my 4 USD per night dorm room and booked a 2-day-1-night boat tour to halong bay the next day. I only know how to say thank you in Vietnam, and still cannot remember the word restroom. People in oldtown Hanoi speak English so I can get by for now.

I am taking heat better now. I like the south hemisphere better this time of the year. Hanoi is as hot as nanning, but wifi everywhere and they have sitting rather than squatting toilets! I do not understand why china is much more advanced in terms of economic growth but lag behinds on some aspects than Vietnam. Hanoi reminds me of 20 yrs ago Taipei. I will check out its new town to further compare these two "communist" countries.


2 comments:

  1. mmm food and scenery look spectacular!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where was the authentic Vietnamese coffee? I made a request! :p

    ReplyDelete