Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Da-tien waterfall: my last resort in China

This waterfall attraction is operated by a private company which smartly sets up billboards of gorgeous photos around Nanning, on newspapers and magazines. Although it is alleged to be the world second largest cross border waterfall, it is probably 5% size of iguazu falls.

I run into two local people who come here every other year. They kindly took photos for me, and asked me questions about Taiwan and the US.

I thought the fall is on the way to Hanoi, but it is quite far away from the popular border crossing point to Hanoi. I had to transfer two local buses and one train to get back to the main route. I attempted to take the last leg via bus by begging the bus driver to allow me to stand.

Unfortunately, the bus to pingxing was sold out to a group such that it did not even get in the station. I ended up taking a motorbike ride to the train station. The train tickets are cheaper than bus tickets because the buses run faster. Although the buses have no toilet, the drivers will stop every 1.5-2 hrs for a toilet break. Only overnight sleeping train tickets are more expensive than bus tickets.

The cities, or I should say towns, I passed by were poor yet clean and layback. I took 9 hrs of bus and 2 hrs of train today. I arrived at the border city Pingxing most 10:30 pm and quickly checked in a hotel. It was a long and hot day.

No comments:

Post a Comment