Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Detour from Overnight bus from Hanoi to Hue

I was impressed by the like 1st class flight seat at less than 1 usd per hour cost of the overnight bus. I planned to find a tour at Hue to the Duong (Paradise) Cave. I asked three travel agencies in hanoi. Two told me the only option is private day tour which will cost at least 131 usd, and the other one said the tour will cost 31 usd.

When the overnight bus took a break in the early morning. I saw most of the travelers are Chinese and some will jump on another bus right at hue. If only me is interested in the cave, I will have pay for the private tour.

I communctsed with the local restaurant owner briefly and got off my overnight bus at Dong Ha which is 100 km south of Dong Hoi, the gateway to the cave. The restaurant owner found me a shuttle ride to Dong Hoi and dropped me at an unknown spot. No one spoke English and I did not have a map or detailed information for Dong Hoi.

I found a hotel whose owner speaks English, gave me a map, and taught me how to walk to the bus station that has once a day bus to the cave direction at 2 pm. It was a long walk with my bags and under the hot sun. I picked an telephone store to stop by for the AC and free wifi. I downloaded more information on the cave but not much transportation for solo traveler. It was too pricy to take a taxi and too hot to ride on a motorbike. So I had my lunch at a shop near the bus station and took a nap before getting on the bus.

I have not yet ridden such a crowded bus full of goods and people. I felt it was like a rehearsal for a bus ride in India. It took a long time to get to Phong Nha by a public bus. When I got there, it was almost 4 pm. I hired a motorbike with top dollar under duress. Let me out it this way. The cost of the 1hr motorbike ride (plus 1.5 hr wait time) was the same as the cost of my dinner, room, and the 2nd day 5 hr bus ride to Hue.

I enjoyed the views during the ride as well as the cave. The 20 km ride from Phong Nha to the cave is as nice as Halong Bay. It was quilt, peaceful, and relaxing.

I skipped the non-polluting electric golf cart to the base of the stairs, and walked along the new path of about 1.6 km instead. Approx. 500 stairs up to entrance of cave, another 100-200 stairs down inside. Stunning, tastefully lit cave features along 1.1 km of slippery wooden pathways.

I was the last visitor to the cave and enjoyed my private English tour guide. Although she did not provide much more information than my online guide book, she took a few photos for me.

Instead of taking the bus back to Dong Hoi leaves Phong Nha at 8:00 am, I found another bus leaves at 4:30 an directly to my next stop Hue after a short night sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment