Thursday, October 18, 2012

Bangkok gem scam victim

I realized how popular this Bangkok gem scams are, after the fact.
http://www.into-asia.com/bangkok/gemscam/

The con-artists always targets the new, first time arrivals to Thailand around the main tourist attractions, particularly Wat Phra Kaew / Grand Palace, Wat Pho, the National Museum and Wat Arun.

A stranger mentioned to me some Bargain jewelry sale and I was too curious to check it out. It went downhill from that point.

My credit card company could not find any legal reason to deny the payment. My only recourse is to mail the set back to the store for 70% buy back. I pray that the package will safely arrive the US. Or I will loose 4500 USD.

One friend encourages me to think positively so not to let this instance further spoils my trip. I am trying hard. I still visited some sites in Bangkok on that unfortunate day.

I came back to Bangkok one day earlier in order to formally file a complaint for the gem scam. I took speed boats to visit the complaint center on the other side of Bangkok.

The Chao Phraya Express Boat is the cheapest and most scenic way of getting from/to Khao San Road. I rode the express boat all the way north to the Ministry of Commerce close to the
Ministry of Commerce near the Nonthaburi pier, which takes about 35 minutes. I felt so sorry to drag in friends in DC to help me to mail back the package.

Activities on Khao San Road are not particularly high class. Many backpackers just chill out in a cafe and watch reruns of Friends while sipping a cold Chang beer. People-watching is also a major activity; this can be done in many roadside bars and pubs along Khao San Road.


No comments:

Post a Comment