Friday, October 19, 2012

Escaped north to Chiangmai, Thailand

After trying my best yet could not dig myself out of the gem scam, I carried out my plan to north regardless of my awful mood. The 15-hr train ride extended into 18-hrs and it was hot a lot of time. I was dehydrated, hungry, and still sick during the ride. I really felt to drop the whole trip and fly back to Washington DC. But I survived the ride, and try to enjoy the trip without worrying too much about the gem scam.

Chiang Mai is the hub of Northern Thailand, and Located on a plain at an elevation of 316 m, surrounded by mountains and lush countryside, it is much greener and quieter than Bangkok.

I grouped with the other five Chinese travelers in the hostel and motor-bike to the nearby attractions.
Our main interest was the Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep which is 18 km from town, sitting at a 1,073 m elevation on the slopes of Doi (Mount) Suthep. Built in 1383 during the Lanna Thai period, legend has it that the temples site was selected by an elephant sent to roam the mountain side, where upon reaching a suitable spot, it trumpeted, circled three times, knelt down and promptly died. The temple offers grand views over the city after accenting the 300-plus steps of the Naga lined stairs.

The Bhuping Palace is also on Route 1004. This royal winter palace has lavishly landscaped gardens. The palace itself (built in 1961) is not particularly exciting, but the extensive gardens are picturesque with some amazing plant life, including carefully curated tropical flowers, as well as centuries-old trees and giant bamboo.

The Hilltribe village was commercial and waste of time.





No comments:

Post a Comment