Sunday, November 18, 2012

Last Day Touring in India


Since I was defeated by the polluted air, street garbage and vendor harassment in India, I decided to cut short my visit in India and fly back to the US on 11/19. As a visitor, I can only accept what is there or walk away if unacceptable. People there will initiate changes when they need it. The problems of the polluted air, street garbage and vendor harassment are rooted in poverty which is a global issue. Some people believe "they" need "our" help, in the form of a few coins in a jar, which does not appear to me as a long term solution.  Business, technology and trade may work better than grants, aid, charity.

On my last day as a tourist, I walked all the way to the central park and the Birla Temple. The central park was surprisingly green.  The Birla Temple (aka The white Marble Temple) is located below the well known Moti Dungri fort. It is a relatively new temple made of white marble with beautiful carvings. It covers a vast area in Jaipur city is built in a contemporary manner. Birla Temple is completely constructed with finest high quality white marbles.

I then went for final shopping for all the gifts for my friends. On my way walk back to my hotel, I run into a liqueur store and picked up a bottle of beer as my final tribute to a country. It turned out to be 8% alcohol content and made my fairly tipsy. I barely made my way back to the hotel, yet ripped a small hole on my silk shirt when passing by a vegetable stand.

I got a good dinner and finished packing for my 36 hours trip including train plus flights and transfers. I will fill up the missing posts as soon as I get home. The new version of Blogger does not support the OS of my iPod touch, so I had to wait for uploading the photos when I get back to the US.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment