Saturday, November 10, 2012

Delhi, India a scary city



The city was so air-polluated, crowded and congested that I was trapped in the traffic and wearing an air mask all the time.

Much of Delhi is quite pedestrian-hostile. Distances are long, road signage is poor, and in the more tourist oriented areas, you'll be constantly accosted by beggars and touts. Crossing roads often involves wading across multiple lanes of heavy traffic.

Worst of all, there are scan artists all over the place trying to luring me to buy tour packages and fake jewelry. Fortunately, my Thai gem scam experience keeps me alerted all the time such that I survived the city two days without monterey damages, but wasted valuable time.

I stayed in a hotel in the Main Bazaar, which is opposite New Delhi railway station. It's noisy, filthy and full of touts, but it's also cheap and central and thus very popular with budget travellers

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I've heard that about Delhi, the Taj and Humayun's Tomb sound really nice though, and the quiet of Farehpur Sikri Complex sounds like a welcome releif!

    ReplyDelete