Thursday, November 8, 2012

Boudhanath and Pashupatinath Temple

I visited both sites in three hours in the morning before flying into India. Although my flight in the the late afternoon, I had to leave my hotel by 2 pm to make sure I checked in three hours before the flight. The traffic in Kethmandu is bad.

One friend I met in the hotel walked with me half way to Boudhanath (also known as Boudha, pronounced 'Bo-da') which is located 7 km East/Northeast of Kathmandu & home to one of the largest Buddhist stupas in the world, built during the 5th century AD. It is located on what was a major trade route between Nepal & Tibet. Many traveling merchants used it as a resting place. There are at least 29 Tibetan Gompas (Monasteries & Nunneries) around Boudhanath. Most of the sites of interest are located near the stupa and can easily be reached on foot, but I stayed there only about half an hour.

I Circumambulated the stupa (walk clockwise around it) twice to check the stupa and the shops. One lap is approx. 150 meters.

I then visited the Pashupatinath Temple, which is one of the most significant Hindu temples of Lord Shiva in the world, located on the banks of the Bagmati River in the eastern part of Kathmandu. The temple is listed as an UNESCO World Heritage Site. Since I was short of local currency, I only walked around the wires around the site. However, I got good views of the. Site from the hill top. I spent about 45 minutes there. I was tempted to walk all round the site but short of time.

I then walked back to the city. After about 15 minutes, a vehicle stopped by my site and a passenger asked me if I need a ride. I asked if the car would go to Themal and how much the cost would be. They told me it would be free since they were visitors and would passed by Themal. I did not hitchhike but was reversely hitchhiked. My friend warned me not to do so in India so I won't get kidnapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment